Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Liar Liar...


I am an avid reader. I can read most of anything and everything. I read science fiction, horror, crime, real life, fantasy, romance. Like I said I don’t discriminate. If a book has good blurb and the story appears to be interesting then it’s mine!

I do have my favourite genre obviously and at the moment its fantasy – you know things not of this world, unbelievable stuff. Stuff of FANTASY.

Well things only get complicated when people start to believe in that. What happens when people are either just crazy and really believe it or think you are stupid and therefore will believe what they are saying.

Bear with me here as I have finished a five day stretch at work where I did 63hours instead of my usual 37.5 hours.

What am I harping on about? Well I am talking about when patients lie to me. I have no idea if there are circumstances in life that will demonstrate this to others but just bear with me.
I have had a few patients in the last few days and they all in some way or another unashamedly lied to me. What I really would like to know is this. Are they lying because they are foolish people or are they lying because they think I will fall for it?

I have had a particular patient for the last 2 days and she appears not to the have the ability to speak without lying. No joke. It got to a point where when she was being reviewed by the medical team, I was doing my usual listening for changes in care and my instructions; she was spewing the same things a patient across the way had complained about. What was wrong with that was she had come in with totally different symptoms and complaints to what she was saying now.
It got to the stage where the consultant surgeon had to make some excuse and leave the patient to go and stand at the xray viewer and I observed him TREMBLING FROM LAUGHTER!!!!! I saw this – we had a senior member of staff laughing to the extent his body was shaking because what she was coming out with was utter and total c**p!
She really seemed to think she had people fooled. I had come to accept her and just grind my teeth while around her. I had better things to do than deal with false pain and vomiting. This woman would mix juice with her food in vomit bowl and give to me and say “nurse I have just been sick am I due anything?” I had to take action each and every time she did this. It’s unfair to have to spend so much time with idiots. I can bloody well tell the difference between vomit and juice with some food!!! I have to admit the thing that got to me the most was that I had to respond to her – I just couldn’t bring myself to challenge her or ignore her.

God I hope she is not there when I go back to work tomorrow.





10 Comments:

Blogger white african said...

tell her shes got a rare disease and she has 24 hours to live, so she better say her good byes and walk away.

9:50 am  
Blogger The Godfather said...

That's not right...tell her she has less than 24 hours to live.

10:17 am  
Blogger Ever The Idealist said...

there is a reason i am the nurse and you two are not.

Ethics people. I might think somethings but i would never voice them or carry them out.
There is a reason Allah doesn't punish us for our thoughts...

10:46 pm  
Blogger The Godfather said...

Yeah Fungus, why you gotta be like that for?!?!?!

11:04 pm  
Blogger Ever The Idealist said...

GF that coemt was mainly directed at you yeah? You are just mean...

Honestly speaking its very frustrating when you have to waste your time on these idiots when there are worthy patients that never complian even tho they should and are entitled to.

Ah well such is life eh?

11:12 pm  
Blogger white african said...

godfather you better wish you never get sick enough to be hospitalised so that you dont get a nurse with my mentality cause then in will be a case of pain ha ha ha

11:43 pm  
Blogger The Godfather said...

LOOL

11:45 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wat a xaasid nurse ... this pateint clearly suffers from ... let me think .. something mentally physioligical soo maaha. and u nurses and doctors just lool @ it. but i feel sorry for whom ever has to clean the vomit.

8:47 pm  
Blogger NM said...

ETI the woman sounds facinating! you have to sit with her, ask her a multitude of questions and find out how she got to be like this. Perfect case-study

6:56 pm  
Blogger tabet said...

all u guys are so funny every one of us how do grownups be this funny especally u sondes and brave heart idealist give my salaam to everyone espeacially suliman

4:43 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home